Avantime Owners UK

Here you will find a friendly and informal meeting place for the discussion of everything Avantime. If you would like to take part and gain access to the additional 1200+ discussion topics, please sign in or apply for membership below!

OW02GBU The long journey back to the road!!

Comments

• Yes, someone has spent quite a bit on this car to keep it going . All the tyres were the same (Pirelli) It has drilled discs with 'greenstuff' pads. I am hoping it wasn't taken off the road for some major fault. The engine runs fine. There is a large oil leak from the rear of the engine. Was that the reason why it wasn't driven? The gearbox could be faulty as that would also be a reason it may have been left idle.
    Or, maybe the owner stopped using it for some other reason. Perhaps they went abroad, fell ill, stopped driving etc. It was last MOT'ed in 2016.
    I would love to know. Hopefully, I will be able to answer the first part of the question. I hope to be driving it soon!!
    wot he said ^^^^ :)
  • Here is some pics from today.
    engine nearly out

broken spring

suspension being stripped as well.

• More pics
    Wheres the lump??

There it is. These engines are heavy

Subframe off

Stripped ready to paint.

• This car is in quite good condition. I have removed the subframe and all the ancilleries. There was really no need to as it is in very good condition. I am cleaning and painting it all up so that I know that it has been done. Also when I am using the car later i will know exactly what has been done.
    I am now concentrating on the subframe, power steering etc so that I can get all the front suspension rebuilt ready to accept the engine when it is done.
    Massive oil leak on the rear of the back cam cover, no wonder it was smoking as much as it was.
  • Subframe painted. Looks nice

• I moved on to the last thing I am going to remove before I start the rebuild. I removed both suspension legs, and then finally removed the pollen filters
    How often should the filters be changed??
    Once a year! Or maybe every other service.
    Well, the good thing with my filters is they both had a date on them, so I could tell when they were last done.

Blimey, I am the first person to be in here since the factory. So, much for so called 'full services' I am so glad i can do my own work, because at least then I know what has been done and what hasn't. No wonder they are called 'stealers' and not dealers.
  • Wheel arch has been painted ready to accept the legs when they have been overhauled.
    Well done. Nice work.
    You are so lucky to have changed the pollen filters. I only found mine were like that after the Air con relay overheated due to lack of airflow. Like you mine were original filters , servicing agents cant be bothered to change them due to time taken and fiddly.
  • Hi, yes you are dead right. But, my fans do not blow. So, I suspect my relay, or the module has blown too. I am not looking at any of the interior items, until I have done the engine and front end. How much did your relay cost you?
  • If you need to replace the heater matrices then this is easier done while the engine is out
  • Also while the engine is out, check the power steering pipes, check for any play in the inner track rod joints, lubricate the steering column universal joint and secure the sound deadening pad at the top of the bulkhead.
  • Also while the engine is out, check the power steering pipes, check for any play in the inner track rod joints, lubricate the steering column universal joint and secure the sound deadening pad at the top of the bulkhead.

Thanks Mike that is brilliant. I have done all of that. I have taken the wipers off and the shroud for a good clean too. It is difficult to know when to stop stripping and then to start the rebuild.
  • If you need to replace the heater matrices then this is easier done while the engine is out

Yes, I know. I haven't got any evidence of leaking matrices. I need a fuse box cover as it was missing when I bought it. Have you any 'checks' that I can perform, to inform me of the state of the matrices? Or do you think it should be a 'standard job' when the engine is out. The heater blower doesn't work. Not on any speed. So, I know the dash will have to come off. I was wondering if it could be the module that lives near the column
  • The old pollen filters will probably have given the fans a hard time.
  • I have a fuse cover and fan power unit if needed although you'd be better getting yours repaired.
  • Hi Mike. I will have the fuse cover, who repairs the fan power unit?

• Well, the good thing with my filters is they both had a date on them, so I could tell when they were last done.

The original filters were sold as Matra parts, as Matra went bust when the Avantime ceased production, all the genuine filters have dates from when the cars were new. I am not saying this means they have been changed, but I bought new genuine filters in 2015, but have 2002 date on them. Yours look considerably cleaner than mine were (similar mileage), bear in mind they are carbon impregnated, so they are grey when new.

You're making great progress!
  • Thanks Mike that is brilliant. I have done all of that. I have taken the wipers off and the shroud for a good clean too. It is difficult to know when to stop stripping and then to start the rebuild.

Just take loads of photos to help you remember where it all goes. When you strip something down you think you'll remember two weeks later how it went, but when that two weeks ends up being six weeks things get a bit hazy.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 0
    Picked this one up last time I was down the road and has been a challenge but that’s it saved and back on the road.
    Mot carried out this morning, passed with no advisories.
    Interior trims has been refurbished along with drawer catches and door sill logos.
    Underside has been treated, engine was out for the timing belt, full service, new brakes and loads of other niggles sorted out. This car will be heading south to it’s new owner this weekend.

• Nice one and well done.

• Now in my care, Sandy (Renoman) sold it to me, after taking off me a Nocturn 3 litre auto2 Avantime HY02 XWV (shed 17) and a 3 litre auto laguna. So back on the road here in Colchester once again, in partnership with my silver 3.5 auto Vel Satis.3
    nice combo !!
  • It’s in good hands. Glad your enjoying it
  • An interesting comparison, as drivers ..

• XWV made it to the Gaydon meeting last May.
    nice little addition....

• Now in my care, Sandy (Renoman) sold it to me, after taking off me a Nocturn 3 litre auto2 Avantime HY02 XWV (shed 17) and a 3 litre auto laguna. So back on the road here in Colchester once again, in partnership with my silver 3.5 auto Vel Satis.3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

About Cookies

We use cookies just so you know