Roger - No 71 2.0T Illiad Blue readers car thread

15678911»

Comments

• Right so struts finished and back on the vehicle, all done at glacial speed of an amateur.
    Still have to recut the threads on the drop links though which look poor.
    Wobbly steering problem identified (I think).

STICK OR TWIST?

However, have two lower "boomerang" arms and I could fit them tomorrow....but several things concern me.....
    How difficult is this to do ?
    In theory just popping the ball joint at the bottom of the hub - is this tricky? Says special tool needed in the manual.
    and then the two other bolts. One of the other bolt/nut pair has a crown type shape not a hex but appears to fit a ring spanner....what is this like.
    Seems a shame to put it back together again to then get a garage to do it - although could combine it with new tyres.
    But on the other hand (literally) im looking at my glacial progress and blood blistered index finger and thinking am I the right guy to try this?!
    The third option is to leave the new ones off for a later date and if ok once test driven then leave it for a different time, after all the lower arms were replaced four years/20,000miles ago and shouldnt be that bad(?). I must admit to feeling a bit lazy about the whole thing by this stage.

• an example of the difficulty face by my driveway antics, needed a 1.3m versus 0.5m breaker bar extension just to get the unloosened strut nut off in the lounge it gets extreme very quickly!

therefore i think ill just "stick" for now!
  • So two steps forward one and a half back
    Used a die nut as recommended by Mike for the M16x2mm x2 strut bolts and M10 drop links (see images).
    Whilst manoeuvring the nearside strut I popped the driveshaft out and the gaiters slipped off at both ends, also emptying the gearbox oil. Was easy enough getting the drive shaft back in but, mein gott, getting the inner gaiter back on took me literally 45 mins scrabbling and had to get half the lower engine panel off to access, now aching scratched fingers.
    Popped the wheels back on and did a test start, ABS light on! Did notice some frayed wires there or I have nudged something, or both.
    Likewise it said "STOP" which I assume/hope is an gearbox oil sensor.
    We have bought another car, did look into a Matra Espace 3 but have gone over to the dark side with a 2009 Chrysler Grand Voyager CRD 75k miles.

So Thursday lunch is scheduled for a look at the ABS wire/sensor (any tips?) and top up the gearbox oil, I hope this is easy to get to, I assume I will need one of those made funnels Halfords sell?..., test drive and MOT Friday.
    Pics tomorrow.
  • if you are topping up the gearbox oil and its a 2lt engine, make sure you dont overfill and use the correct oil. the oil is a special spec and the gearbox must not be filled up until it comes out of the filling hole. an L shaped dipstick must be created to check for the oil level. it has been discussed already in other threads. so just giving you a heads up if it is the 2 litre engine.
  • Great stuff Tempest thanks (yes 2.0T)
    Some pics of slipped gaiters and rethreading the threads:

• i am pretty sure one of my outer gaiters slipped off when i did a full steering lock u turn (apparently its not uncommon). luckily the car went in for new tyres shortly after and they spotted it and put it back with a large radiator hose/pipe clip to hold it in place.
    My 2.0 went into limp mode on the motorway. Had to drive at 45 mph for a few miles while cycling the ignition. No joy then suddenly I had full power. So I’ve cleaned out the v dirty throttle body so will just have to wait and see. What is that v rusty ( seen a few ) adjuster bolt ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

About Cookies

We use cookies just so you know