Roger - No 71 2.0T Illiad Blue readers car thread

Comments

• After an epic weekend battle, i got the radiator in. The Nissens thing is not an exact fit, so Ive had to remove the cold air feed (the duct was split in any case so this has never worked). Blimey what a PITA. I would recommend recoring the original radiator - or buying from Renault not an aftermarket part after that experience. Just slotting home an exact replica was my expectation, but had to cut off various nubbins on it and still wasn't ideal when placed. Plus the replacement didn't have a proper frame. GRRRR.

Car runs well at least. The battery was reconnected after completion and now we've realised we dont know how to turn the radio on :p Im away for a couple of days so cant try myself and the Mrs has a longish 3 hour journey today, any pointers?

Another couple of positives were, I cleaned up and repainted the radiator carrier which otherwise might have rusted through in say 8 years time.
    Secondly I removed all the bumper grills and painted them gloss black. My plan was silk black but didnt have enough cans of paint so went for gloss which has worked out well, as rattle can painting is a bit dull in any case especially next to Illiade. It looks great in the flesh. I will see if i get time to make a PDF guide on the radiator (PITA) and also bumper grill refresh (Easy enough).

• left early so the only Photo Ive got
  • Some more pics, grills, remove, wash and degrease, fine key sand (try to use child labour where possible to save money and time), primer, paint, bake by a fire if possible.

• Radio... mine's always powered up, so I never have to find the on/off, but I think it is the oblong 'lozenge' button on top of the right hand AUDIO steering wheel stalk. So long since I've done it, but I think it cycles between on, radio, CD, off, etc.
    This audio booklet might help:-
    http://Avantime-owners.com/techsheets/Audio_handbook.pdf
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 0
    @bencollins @Johnny_Essex is on the right lines, a long press of said button should bring it back to life. No radio code required for the privilege spec radio. If yours is the Dynamique spec radio (single CD), you will probably need a radio code so pm me the radio serial number and I'll reply with the code you need. Text on 07973 758382 if you prefer.

p.s. Your radiator support bracket looks in very good shape compared with most. Five stars for persistence.
  • If you do have the single cd unit, the code might be in your paperwork, I have a card leaflet with it on alongside other stuff like how the alarm works. The challenge is working out how to put the numbers in. You have to use the scroll wheel to choose the number, then press either the button on top or bottom of the stalk to confirm each number, the opposite button is the one to submit the code once you've put it all in, if you press it before you have the whole code in it makes a noise. It does explain it in the instructions, but it's rather confusing.
  • sunroof is drastically slowing down
    pic of tarted up grills

perhaps im going mad but have searched through the service manual and cant find the suspension (front) section? strange!
    Awesome many thanks.
    The new front springs are on, and new dampers, and the ride is cured. I have some fresh looking cobra springs for someone and some part worn dampers. It was probably all the bushings (especially the top bushings) which was making the crashings. Now have silent driving and fully replaced everything. The sunroof has decided not to close, seems to be an electronic issue as it seems to think it is home and stops rater than grinding to a close. Some forum reading to be done as it will rain tonight! Also the three car seat test this morning to check we can keep it longer term!
  • Have you tried pushing the sunroof forward as it's closing? Also, make sure you have the engine running whilst doing it, and of course check the runners are free from obstruction. You may be right with the thinking it's closed idea, whilst closing mine today (in preparation for going back on the road in May) whenever it stopped it actually started opening again (presumably the safety thing to stop it decapitating you).
    Hi Spudit thanks for the input.
    Pushing makes no difference, it has a stop point and just stops.
    Runners are clean and grit free, silicon grease lubricated

Basically the roof slide until a particular spot, then stops.
    There is a some clicking when under motion, From the pictures you can see there is a gear driving a spiral cable which pulls/pushes the roof one cable for each side.

A quick hoover of the area and some pulling at carpets I found the mini computer module under the RH rear seat (accessed from the luggage area carpet lift). I tried the usual unplugging replugging, even with the engine running to try to initiate a reset.

After lowering the headlining, I could inspect the motor and gear drive under action and both are fine.
    Is the the spiral cable drive mangled somehow/somewhere? Clicking could mean slippage on one side, twisting the roof, i.e. pulled one side but not the other.
    Potential resolutions…..well hard to say when the problem is not identified
    Next steps (?)
    New battery to avoid voltage drop – but then why does it stop always in the same place.
    Take the motor off again but in the stopped location to check for mangled spiral cable.
    Detach the cable and manually slide the roof home (sounds like a big job). But really need to find a way to get the roof back at home location.
    Read some more.
    In better news the suspension has settled out so now the front and rear are level – rear are the POs Cobra lowering springs, front is Espace 3 springs.
    Also I reckon I have fitted the three child seats in the rear satisfactorily and presented this to the Mrs yesterday – still to be approved by SWMBO!

• With the sunroof motor removed you should be able to push the glass forward into the closed position.
    ahah great info, will try, we did try it a bit, but it didnt budge, then again i didnt fancy pushing to hard, so Ill try this again with more gusto. I am worried (could be bull hockey) that somehow the spirals have slipped and the cables are at the end of their tether somehow.... will try on Thursday when next home cheers
  • I removed the sunroof glass from an Avantime with no way of powering it open so ended up removing the motor and forcing the glass back, did this without any damage and would imagine it should be easier to close.
    Righto, Roger is running sweetly, albeit the niggles are building up through lack of care and attention on my part and the brutal existence of a family wagon with retarded 35kg mutt. The headlining is still low awaiting the roof fixed (now shut and the tape marks form the taped on bag remain, the shame! Better news is the in the handbook it clearly states no room for three adjacent car seats so my Mrs won that one............but hang on doesnt that mean it is sold...nope. Whilst googling cars that allow three child seats across the back we came across "multimacs" and now own two, one for the espace S1 (4 seater) - another sprog planned, still sorned though) and one for the Avantime (3 seater). So happy days.
    Finally had recent scare with the cooling and the engine temp went up but it was nothing more than too

The only love recently applied was a new battery and wipers blades, which is a but of a faff due to the remounting of the squirters (mini cable ties and epoxy glue used).
    Dog has now scratched the rear and the drivers door as it is very nervous and seems to think (correctly) we might take him to the glue factory.

Question for the forum whizzkids, what is this dummy node for on the heating circuit (see red ring)? And has anyone got a water bottle filler cap for sale, which has got lost along the way.

x

• It is the charge point for the air con

magic cheers John!
    ahh hence the lightweight looking pipes, needs recharging at some point, assuming there is not a leak somewhere, I bought a spare last year for the underside which apparently cracks over time sometimes. it was leaking last year and now doesnt work. Unless that was just condensation dripping off it at the end of a run.
  • That air con pipe should have a screw-on cap on it, too. It's the cap that provides the seal, not the Schrader valve-type thing inside the metal 'node'. They're a pretty standard fitting - a bit like an oversized tyre valve cap - so you'd probably get one from an air con place.
  • Update : plenty of miles being done on our only legal and registered car, depite owning 5 others (!). Of late we have had the service light come on, then become flashing after several journey, together with the anti-skid light as well. All rather concerning. After a brimming of the tank the service light thus went off. Im trying to make sense of this on a 17 year old car....perhaps the fuel filter is blocked which then worked when filled up? I can imagine a car with 200,000+km will need a fuel filter change. Suspect one/some of the brake pads are wearing which make explain the other light.
  • A fault with the antilock braking system will illuminate the service light too so may well be the same fault, this could be a faulty abs sensor, dirty toothed ring, steering position sensor, yaw sensor, brake pedal switch.
    Not sure about the fuel filter theory.
    There is no brake pad wear indicator on the Avantime (Just a grinding noise when it's gone too far).
  • Thanks for your brilliant input Mike again.
    I am officially a big fan of this car, just done an 800 mile long weekend up to Scotland, via A1, A66, M74, M8 then over the new bridge to Aberdour. Returning back down to Kendal, then Pendle Hill. Then as a last leg through Airedale and M62, A1 back to cabbageland (the Fens). About 37mpg when touring.
    Biggest moan remains lack of cruise in the 2.0T and no gear-you-are-in indicator.

I told my family we were going to Bali/Barley, but forgot to mention not the one in Indonesia, the one in Lancashire. Beautiful place though, set under the majestic iconic crest of Pendle hill. North Lancashire must be the most underrated part of England.

Car is running sweet as a nut for the last year, though there are niggles building up with I must attend to, mostly aesthetic, such as a disintegrated gearknob. The 3 kids love the Multimac rear seat solution which puts them even higher up than usual on the cinema seating, that product is a brilliant match for a 3-kid family and an Avantime. You just drop the rear window and post the kids in, much easier than struggling around doors. Our 7 year old daughter goes centrally and loves the view forward too.

Alas, we will probably have to change it due to new arrival in September, probably around June end. Not a car for rabbit breeders.

Off to France at Easter for a short break for the next trip.

• Keep the kids on the lookout for another Avantime, with half a score for a Vel Satis. That might keep them quiet ... Unless you bore them with why the French drive on the right/priority due to Napoleon.
    (5.8 cm disc for deviate light headlamp right of 2mm spot on headlamp)
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 0

couple of pics from the Euro tour, 2000 miles.
    One new wheel bearing (which I consider a consumable) otherwise faultless.

Thumbs up as a family touring car.
    Must work out the fuel economy.
    We went over San Bernard and San Gotthard (via La tremola) as vehicle highlights, though they werent as steep as the border between Italy and Switzerland near Monte Generoso.

Potevamo trovarci , io abito a TORINO , TI PORTAVO A VISITARE UJA CITTÀ BELLISSIMA

• Best not work out the fuel economy after towing that dog for 2000 miles
    Haha indeed, not brilliant economy but equally, quite OK.
    Funnily enough long commuting is a lot more ruinous than the odd euro jaunt. Im thinking the Avantime might get a stay of execution as a second car, i.e. 8 year old daughter in the front seat on a booster.

Thanks for the offer italo1 but i doubt we will get south of brittany anytime soon. Have thought about a hop over to San Sebastian in Spain and drive back via Western France, but in the end i cant be that selfish and we need to make shorter trips now the irish-Triplets are in the post. Kids want to drive max 4 hours then beach days.

Italy is truly a wonderful country and worth the trip.
  • Quick update, we have squeezed (I mean squeezed, the rear trim panel was compressed 3mm both sides and just fitted the largest 1320mm Multimac rear seat. So the old one (3 seater 1140mm wide) is now for sale. Multimacs are excellent for kids, and raise the cinema seating even further as you post the tots through the side window, easy peasy. The downside is you cannot fold down the rear seat anymore as they weigh alot and getting them in an out is a once a year task.
    https://www.multimac.com/p/superclub_3_seater

Anyhoo, this means we have the world's only six seater Avantime!! :)

After a quick and brutally unsympathetic reverse action, I have damaged the cable or popped off the linkage somehow so that 1st, 2nd and reverse does no longer engage. Whoops.
    I have checked the gear cable and fork on top of the gearbox underneath the removed air filter mounting plate (2.0l FART engine) (sorry F4RT) and everything looks brand new.

So, I know face the prospect of looking throug the 3500 page service manual to find the bit where you lift up the centre console/gearshift gaitor to see what has happened at the top end of the gear linkage chain. Fingers crossed it is something external and simple, not internal in the gearbox casing.

See if I can dig out some pictures of the above for the next post.
  • pics from manual

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

About Cookies

We use cookies just so you know