Roger - No 71 2.0T Illiad Blue readers car thread

Comments

• edited June 2018 Posts: 218
    The sunroof was juddering despite silicone spray lubrication so have put both grease and oil in the channel now, hope that improves the situation.
    General impressions are good, though the crashy worn out dampers and drivers side control arm are ruining the impression. The 2.0T is quite peppy and more than adequate. Recent fill up was 71 litres, which seems bigger than the tank - might call local weights and measures team!
  • Roof racks were factory items, nla from Renault and very rare second hand. I don't know that anyone has found an after market rack that will fit.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 0
    The tank is 80 litres - so if you let the tank get low and brim it the bill is not a pretty sight!
    It is not advisable to put grease on the sunroof as it attracts grit, which in the long term will cause more issues and be hard to remove. The sunroof is always slow and often juddery, what seems to be best is regular use and of course the silicone spray, but you have to run it a few times before it works. If theres still issues you can take the sunroof off and give the rails a proper clean out. Also, only use the sunroof with engine on, I don't know that running it without the engine does damage but its painful to watch as it is so lethargic and usually needs a hand.
    RE roof rack - have a read of this http://www.Avantime-owners.com/forum/discussion/1251/roof-barsrack#Item_1 nothing is still available, but if you can identify what part numbers were may find a second hand set.
    Thanks for the great replies.
    Was wondering about the grit-grease dilemma. Suppose ill run it a few time to et the dried out surfaces lubricated then wipe down to avoid excess grease, see if that is the right compromise.
    Where are you based I have a hubcap.
  • Renault sell a grease specifically for lubricating the sunroof. Has it been found to cause problems?

• Could you put the link for that guide up? I'm sure it will be very useful for members. Thanks
    It's a bit of a bodge I'm afraid. It's a guide from Avantime Passion forum (I think! - saved it nearly 2 years ago so my recollection is a bit hazy now). I couldn't get the whole google-translated "How To" to save to a single PDF, so had to save it in bits.

Comment: All references to "TO" are an abbreviation of "Toit Ouvrant" - "Opening Roof".

• And just to, as Jim Bowen used to say, "take a look at what you could have won", this is a photo of the refurbishment kit that is no longer available :'(

The part number for the little 20g pot of grease is 7711419865, I think. I've got one somewhere in the garage. I also found mention of a Molykote silicone grease in a 100g tube, 7701028179. Both of these are still available from Renault.

However, I am cautious about using this in the light of comments made here about not using grease...
  • Here's the first page as a PDF. I didn't save it as a screenshot like the other pages.
    TBH I was not aware this product was still available from Renault. The Renault Spec grease should be fine, although it is my recollection that it is more expensive than gold, hence the silicone spray solution. I may be wrong about the price, please correct me if you know differently Perhaps I am thinking of the grease for the ignition coils.....Anyway, it is important I think to differentiate between grease and spray. Use no other GREASE than the Renault stuff, or use SILICONE SPRAY, which is like water in texture and will only be effective once the carrier has evaporated in about a day. My preference is the spray . I use the one supplied by '3 in 1' both because of the price and also my belief that the less lubricant (to a point) the less build up of dirt and cack on a mechanism that seems marginal at best. The only other point I'd like to make is to reiterate what Spudit said earlier, exercise it regularly (say once a week) with the engine running and some hand assistance. Use it or lose it. ;)
    @Takenforgranted No file in last message
    "The only other point I'd like to make is to reiterate what Spudit said earlier, exercise it regularly (say once a week) with the engine running and some hand assistance. Use it or lose it. ;)"

So true for so many things ;-)
  • I tried attaching the PDF. Preview says it's uploaded and present, but when I post no attachment shows up. I tried a few times, always with the same result.
    If the sunroof is serviced properly (rails removed and thoroughly cleaned) every couple of years as per my demonstration at Coventry, it will run beautifully smooth. Mine opens and closes without judder and at even speed without assistance with or without the engine running.
    From my personal experience, I would not use any type of grease even that Renault recommend but stick to the aerosol silicone oil like this or similar;-

The roof is now sliding without juddering having been excessively lubricated, which is not a long term solution. It still sounds a bit scrapey though.
    Doing some simple jobs, one by one (is there any other way).
    Its all in the detail, new number plate for 8 looks spiffing.
    One thing that is bugging me is the light grey rear wiper cowl. Just NO! …….Soon to be black.
    Have also lined the boot with plastic matting and cardboard tub to avoid staining/stench when the inevitable happens with our largish five month old (Dulux dog) puppy Duncan.
    Our seven month old (human) has moved on to a forward facing child seat and he loves the view out afforded by the cinema seating, shrieking with delight like a tetradactyl for the last trip to the marsh.
    Have bought some silicon sheets (blue and clear) which I will put on the door treads to stop marking by may daughter, as they are currently immaculate and it seems a shame to spoil them, likewise the boot lip which will get trashed by Duncan.

• Ben - the half-moon rear wiper base is a detail worth solving, together with other black 'plastic', the front grill etc. I can't remember if anyone has found a blacking product that works. I've a feeling Alex (a former Avantime owner) used shoe blacking as a base, followed by trim blackener product. Incidentally, the water tube should be able to neatly follow around the wiper arm and not show unduly.
    As for transporting anything under 30 years old, I suggest getting a trailer.
  • I tried several cures for the grey wiper base, all of them faded over time. The last solution was to remove the arm, mask and spray with satin black plastic bumper paint. So far (about a year) it has stayed looking good. Funny how these little details annoy us so much, :D

heres my cardboard carbuncle
    including plastic liner for doggy based accidents.
    I think i bumped the pipes in the centre of the car yesterday and spotted a dripping leak
    are they AC, turbo cooling? wierd place for pipes, beside the exhaust! Looked expensive. I think ive seen something on those here somewhere, will have a read tonight.
    Impressed with table carrying capabilities. Not too bad for a two door.
    might be power steering cooling pipes.... i seen them on other cars. Whose is the nice old merc in the driveway?
    Ahh thats Regina, she is a 1968 280s manual. Lovely but not yet registered. My house started to fall to bits so that is on ice for now. Sooooon. Low miles (possibly) and not to rusty. Also with electric sunroof! Just fitted seatbelts to it.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 218
    Now had the car a couple of months, and have merged into it somewhat, seems a while since the 2003 Volvo V70.
    Negatives are:
    the handling set up, we were expecting boaty around corners but, the pitching is worse than ive experienced. Fenland roads tend to have a lot of dips in them due to the soft earth underneath. The car feels unsettled front and rear like the axles have never been introduced. We have new dampers but the garage decided not to fit them for whatever reason. Im doubtful that is the issue. Its very much a Lockheed Starfighter rather than a F15 Eagle, handling wise.
    Radio reception seems poor.

Positives
    As a car nerd its quite an exciting dadwagon, biggest sun roof, double door hinges, no b pillars, cinema seating, built in front seat belts, easy fold seats, commanding view.
    The kids really love the view out, the grand air has been awesome in this endless summer and the seats and driving position are very comfortable. The engine is great (2.0T) Im still waiting to calculate fuel economy, suspect about 33mpg). This owners website has been great and gives a great feeling of security with such an oddball car. The blue colour is the most common, but really nice and complements (and does not clash with) our other cars.

Load lugging wise, occasionally the junk-in-the-trunk shape isn’t volvoesque/cubic enough, but we have had a sideboard, plants and five tables in the back so overall it is fine.
    Need to add the rubber footsteps, rear seat mat (messy kids) and dog scratch protector at the rear.
    A few niggles to sort; wobbly indicator, 3 x scuffs, missing plastic, cracked rear view mirror perimeter, cracked plastic vent, broken armrest hinge, paint that wiper cowl to black, corrosion on the roof rails.
    All to be done before the trip to France.
    Have recently noticed it has parking sensors which was a nice surprise. Especially with that arse.
    The electric lumbar support is a nice oddity.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 0
    To be honest, on all of the photos available I have not seen any parking sensors. That leaking section you have mentioned is the cooling section for PAS. I think @matthewgroom have recently re-manufactured one...
    it definitely beeped, yeah im not sure why cos i cant see any either!! I will investigate further.
    The Avantime does have a habit of making an occassional beep as you drive about... for no reason.

Fi
    n
    finally detail cleaned the air box and new filter.
    The intake hose is split near the opening but doubtful this can make any difference.
    Interior rear view mirror cracked on the periphery.
  • That's not standard rear view mirror
  • Looks like my mirror, is yours auto dimming @BillSheppard?
  • Yes it is, I know Italo in Italy has one for sale
  • €100 is his asking price

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

About Cookies

We use cookies just so you know