Roger - No 71 2.0T Illiad Blue readers car thread

Comments

Here is this asked view for 2.0T manual, as you have mentioned noise from right side then this might be of the torque arm, on photo item no.18

• Hi Mr KaljoK, that is brilliant cheers. Must admit my situation with loads of cars and only one uk registered (I moved from sweden 18 months ago and have been repairing the 400 year old house as a priority) is a bit annoying. My mini tilting lift is occupied with another car. Really would like to remove the whole front suspension and replace every bush. Naturally at a garage they havent got time to do the job as thoroughly and we need the Avantime as a family. Hurumph. Ill investigate ordering a few more bushes as speculative buys, since they dont cost that much usually.
  • *poofff* another £100 or so dropped into Roger for engine mounts. While Autodoc is good, occasionally they have no stock or bonkers pricing or both as illustrated below. Went with Ebay various merchants to get the parts. Thanks again Mr Kaljo. One or all of the engine mounts will need replacing probably. If not, i have some spares!

• Thanks to Spudit also for the paint code, used to get the paint from Halfords.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 218
    Apparently, its the radiator thats leaking and is toast which makes sense as the front edge of the engine casting was wet. Its blooming hard to see in the engine bay its so full, the downside of "excellent" vehicle packaging. My Espace S1 was cursed with Renaults longitudinal engine killing the brilliant Simca prepared package and adding a foot on the length, but flipping heck is it easy to scoot around the engine bay by comparison.

Hopefully radiator failure was due to age and or silting not anything dramatic. From reading the forum i see the radiator support is easily corroded so ill get the garage to take a look to see if that is rust-crumbled as well. I hope the route cause was ......radiator leak>low coolant>steam>overheat briefly...rather than something else catalysing the event sequence. £35 for new Nissens delivered 63851A radiator should do the job nicely!

Quite a let off price wise compared to HGF or something. Some labour to add though naturally. Part arrives Friday so lets see about the next step of the saga! Autodoc parts have arrived and so have the engine mounts............perfectish car approaching and hopefully only an admittedly decently large labour bill to stomach. Ignoring all the minor issues and blemishes of a family-with-moron-dog car.
  • @bencollins Where did you source the radiator at £35 ?
  • Snafoo? ....... no I bought it :D
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 218
    Everybody else: snooze yer luze
    Champion air filter in, not particularly dirty but on a micro level who knows. I think 7000 miles is enough for a filter that sucks in XX million litres of air during that time. I could work it out, but life is too short.
    Or is it?
    2000 revs per min = 4000 litres of air per min.
    Average 35 mph, 7000ish miles. =200 hours driving
    200 x60 mins=12000mins driving
    12000x4000=48,000,000 litres
    lets round it to 50 million litres.

• Thermostat purchased, might as well if changing the coolant.

• All parts have arrived, yeehaa.

Hi, just to let you know I also had doubts about noise from undercarriage and suspected engine mounts. Eventually all of them were fine, culprit was bushes of subframe. All of them. Just a thought...
  • Should be well sorted once that lot installed :)
  • Ahh crap sticks, the garage just called and said the radiator does not fit. I burnt the box! Wife just commented, well at least you can get your money back!!! I do at least have the paperwork to check if it was the correct serial number 63851A on the actual hardware. The car is being reassembled inc the four holes. Time for some radweld perhaps maybe haha.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 218
    Right radiator saga rolls on with us topping up every 10 miles.
    The radiator ordered is definitely 63851A, paperwork says so and so does the radiator serial number.
    63851A definitely does not fit a 2.0T Avantime.
    Differences:
    • 63851A has two connections, both PAX side, 2.0T radiator has 3 connections, 1x Drivers side(RHD), 2x Pax.
    • Dimensions : 63851A 740mmx 470mm x 43mm , Avantime 2.0T is @700mm x480mm

So that is not the correct radiator, ill need one with 3 connections.
    Paid the garage 275 pounds to identify the radiator leak (stage 1) change the oil and a fit the new thermostat (part supplied by me) so not impressed with that either.
    Apparently they didn't notice the discrepancy between the radiators and stripped the car first before realising the mismatch. (TBF i didnt check either).
    Pics below show various things like the on car 3rd attachment.

The next step is to find the part number of the correct radiator and start over, groan.
  • Perhaps the problem is this is the part for the 3.0 (NA) V6, and the third attachment is part of the intercooler circuit on the turbo (?).
  • Balls on Autodoc it is quoting the 63815 number, not 63851 :o

• Righto have ordered 63815, not 63851 this time. :s
    Talk about swiss cheese holes aligning. :#
    Both being sold as Avantime& espace fitments, beware of this folly fellow forumters! Save yourselves, its too late for me.
    What are the chances etc. :'(

Will be here on Tuesday.
    Might try and fit it myself next Friday, weather permitting.
    Hey ho/hurumph.
  • Feel your pain. :'(
  • @bencollins I think the Nissens 63851A fits the 3.0ltr Avantime so I'll have the one you've already got.

• great stuff Mike, whereabouts are you?
  • Widnes Cheshire, no rush to get it me but PM me your bank details and how much I owe you. I'll transfer the money right away. If you can store it till early June I'll be passing through your way for a few days in Norfolk.
  • sure pick it up in June, youll drive right past, we are in Holbeach
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 0
    A comment you made last year Ben, about the car sometimes locking itself...
    If memory serves me well (there's a first time for everything) once you unlock the car, unless you open a door within a minute or so, it will re-lock. So if you only open the boot to get something, then return shortly after it will be locked again.
  • If I'm not wrong car alarm will be "returning on" again if central locking will not be discharged by opening any door in 60s... At least this is with my car.
  • once you unlock the car, unless you open a door within a minute or so, it will re-lock.

Opening the boot should also inhibit this "passive locking" action, otherwise you could lock your keys inside the boot.

• oK CHEERS for that info. Ive replaced both key fob batteries as a precaution. It did not use to lock itself because my Mrs sometimes leves it unlocked, country bumpkin that she is.
    Short hours work today so then its change the radiator in the sun and to the downloads section to see how its one in the workshop manual hopefully.
    New 63815 radiator sitting in the porch awaiting insertion. Also need to drive to Suffolk tonight so hope it goes smoothly.
    Ill take pictures and probably satin black paint the grille at the same time.
  • once you unlock the car, unless you open a door within a minute or so, it will re-lock.

Opening the boot should also inhibit this "passive locking" action, otherwise you could lock your keys inside the boot.

Seems the pills the Doc gave me aren't helping then.
  • right here goes, its a bumper off job booo00

• edited February 2019 Posts: 0

It did not used to lock itself because my Mrs sometimes leaves it unlocked

Only if the car is locked by remote control and then unlocked by remote control will it re-lock. This does not happen if a door or the boot is subsequently opened within 40 seconds. This passive locking is to ensure your car is secured if you accidentally unlock the car with the keys in your pocket for example.

It won't lock by itself if you don't lock and unlock it first.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

About Cookies

We use cookies just so you know