Roger - No 71 2.0T Illiad Blue readers car thread

Comments

try mike or sandy...
  • Espace III are the same but nothing else fits. I have spare used ones.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 218
    Thanks mike drop me a line with price/condition please on email or Oh seven nine two seven 100140 cheers Ben. Sandy has one but is offshore for a while.
  • Steering rack fitted, the steering rack had failed it was not just the track rod ends unfortunately, purchased one from a breakers north of Newcastle-u-tyne KC Forrest who are FYI currently breaking an Espace 3 (very similar in some parts). Will get the tracking redone this morning and then see if that fixing steering lurch midcorner on the passenger side. Im expecting its a worn suspension bush somewhere which only deforms under pressure, but the garage were unable to spot anything during the steering rack exchange (they looked). Onwards! £500+ lighter SR 85, fitting 265, tyres 200......
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 218
    A few weeks in and the steering rack seems to be ok, but had the tracking done locally at Bush tyres, have a read out on that but it seems very aggressive. Like driving a fighter plane, deliberately unstable and twitchy on the road cambers "tramlining"), conversely roundabout turn in is dramatically improved however as you might expect. Parking is very wierd too as it is sometimes judders. ANyway it is going back to the garage for a review.

Latest issue is limp mode apparently caused by throttle signal going off for one of the following reasons (in order of simplicity)

Tired throttle body.
    Dirty MAF sensor
    Detach, reattach throttle cable to throttle body (causes a recallibration)
    Accelerator pedal position sensor.
    Accelerator action of pedal/clean up
    Dodgy throttle cable.
    Electrical interference into the signal in the throttle cable.
    Dirty/worn/poor connections on the ECU (under the battery apparently)
    Throttle body approaching end of life.

Possible purchases: Throttle cable, Throttle body

Quick shout out to the Facebook page people who have supplied potential root causes...Lewes Epps, Joost Kolkman, James Gibbinson, Damian Green

Given the pedal can be fully depressed and there is no revving, and it is intermittent, we can pinpoint some kind of electronic or elctro-mechanical issue, rather than mechanical, i.e something is not working/responding/transmitting.
    Luckily turning the ignition on and off (with ignition turning) for 30sec+ period and depressing the clutch was sufficient to get me home....but we are once more without transport.
    Again, because it is intermittent am definitely hoping a genreal clean up of all components might clear it!

• limp mode:

• 95% of the time these symptoms occur, it is on a 2ltr turbo and the remedy is a new throttle body again 95% of the time.
    Having half diagnosed the problem, before spending a fortune on further diagnosis, I recommend trying a replacement throttle body.
    https://www.autodoc.co.uk/stark/7700760
  • Replacement Throttle body cured my car of this fault. Make sure you replace the gasket on it at the same time ( that caused a fast tickover).

Tramlining on my car was caused by worn tyres. A new set cured it. But you have already done that, so it sounds like tracking is still wrong.
  • summary

• yup.... thats the bit. At least its easy to get to.
  • I would also suspect the tracking as those are all the classic symptoms of toe-out.
  • Dead in the centre of your circle on the above photo is a plastic adapter that connects a semi-rigid breather pipe to the throttle body. Be extremely careful when you lever this out or you will break it.
    I had an Espace 3 that was fitted with too short a track rod on one side so it could not be tracked correctly as it ran out of adjustment. I’d def check the lengths of the track rods.
  • So ive taken out what i was expecting to be a wire MAF sensor but is looks like this with a red washer....and also the grey thing what's that? temperature?
    Is the MAF somewhere else...if its the red thing , how do you clean it?
  • The new one is coming tomorrow but i thought id tray and fix the existing position sensor which when reinstalled got rid of the electronic fault signal, i did this by using a cotton bud soaked in white spirit on the tracks which were a bit dirty, and then bending the tiny pick up wires back into shape...see pic below ringed red

• so when i start it now it's driveable and idles nicely when warming up, but then say 8 seconds in, has a hunting idle, two seconds high, 3 seconds low continuously.
    @Mike thanks for the tip, i did lever it out gradually as you suggested, but not 100% it is a tight seal now, i needed to check that.
    Have also been philosophising about the error, i can understand why limp mode is applied, if the elctronics cant detect throttle demand then the vehicle is potentially deadly. havent checked the pedal yet, but as the fix has the solved the issue and the pedal revs the engine without issue, i probably wont bother!

Anyway, lets see if the hunting occurs with the brand new throttle body - if it does i fixed the old one and generated a new problem !! Duh!
    Thanks for the replies.
  • oh dear have bought the wrong throttle body, I bought the one linked above by Mike which I assume is for the V6. I double checked it myself but as usual was rushing and typed in throttle body and the 2.0 turbo but didnt notice that the search results had the heading "throttle body results for other cars!!!" Guess what Autodoc, if i specify the car, i dont want results for other cars!!!

I shall attempt to order the part from euro parts now lets see if i can manage that without a co**-up

• Hmmm halfords, GSF and Euro car parts dont have them, I can buy a 2nd hand one on ebay for £79 or £350 new from Latvia....starting to think I need to going to a......whisper it.....renault main dealer :open_mouth: :wink:
  • The good news is I have a V6 compatible throttle-body for sale without a week+ delay from Eurodoc and 20% off :)
  • Sandy now tells me the 3.0 V6s throttle bodies never break. :neutral: Currently hunting people breaking Renaults. Plan B for tonight is to have another go straightening the pick up wires using my four year olds soon to wrapped magnifying glass-with-lamp for accuracy and also to glue in the vacuum pump element in case that is leaking somehow and then try another restart! /nopw adopting a zen bhuddist pose for 20mins then ill take a lie down
  • @bencollins, I'm really sorry, looks like i did exactly what you did when you double checked. The only thing I can say is I bought a throttle body from autodoc myself about a year ago and it fitted fine. I thought I was helping. Anyway, as it's my fault I can send you a used correct one foc if you pm me your address.

ps the one you have doesn't appear to fit the v6 either. Anyones guess what it does fit.
  • Looks like it's a VW/Skoda part
  • @bencollins - did you pay the £3.50 'safe order' charge on the Autodoc order? If so, you can just send the part back and get a full refund. They pay the return postage and they even arrange collection. As long as you do it within 200 days of ordering and didn't try to fit the part, they take items back without any fuss. I've done it a couple of times.
  • Nope, I did not pay the £3.50. Ahah no sweat Mike, not your fault, Im a grown man and make my own choices, thanks for the kind offer. Funnily enough i tried straightening the contacts and more cleaning on the track last night, and a light run of low-strength glue on the vacuum connector. Hey presto, this morning starts no problem! Maybe this is a sneaky homebaked fix...........however one swallow doesnt make a summer, lets give it a few days/weeks.

Eventually got them untangled and more or less straight under a magnifying glass

• Whilst we are on the subject, where is the MAF? is it the black and red thing shown further up in the thread? I would really like to clean it but not sure what to do with that!
  • ok i found a similar renault video and it does look like it is the black and red item...
    so will squirt it later!
  • Seems there's some confusion here. The MAF sensor is in the induction pipe between the air filter and the throttle body. The MAP sensor is on the inlet manifold.
    Mass Air Flow
    Manifold Air Pressure
  • ok i found a similar renault video and it does look like it is the black and red item...
    so will squirt it later!
    Wrote this post but never sent it for some reason
  • 2.0T Throttle position sensor still working no issues so maybe we can just clean/fix them rather than try to find non existent new ones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

About Cookies

We use cookies just so you know