Roger - No 71 2.0T Illiad Blue readers car thread

Comments

• Auto dimming mirror was only standard on Privilege model, not the Dynamique which Ben has. To upgrade I think you also need the rain sensor unit as the regular mirror is not powered so cant be just swapped easily. Your car has some optional extras Bill.
  • Mine has rear parking sensors too :)
  • I have a spare Dynamique spec mirror.
    i think the mirror is just a bog standard megane mirror so ill find one soon enough. Car is runnig pretty sweetly and loving the roof obviously with the weather.
    Righto...cut to the chase (not sure what that expression means).
    a) What do you people recommend for touching up light scuffs? is there a paint code? cans of paint only available in France?
    b) Does anybody want me to bring back something from France? Going soon.
    c) My drivers side door mirror has corroded and doesnt flip inwards, anybody have a diagram of way to get at it? I have tried corrosion loosener. Conversely having WD40ed the other side it now might be too wobbly.
    d) have started fiddling at the corrosion, assuming i rempve the rubber trim to get proper access, then scrape out the corrosion, what substance does on put on the corroded area to arrest further propogation?
    e) does anybody know how the rear bumper attaches at the side just below the filler cap?
    f) what do people use to clean and refinish the rubber elements? (had a look on you tube and it is a bit random).

Recent fiddles were:
    Bulb change including tarting up the trim panel.
    Adding rubber doggie mats (3x £1.50 wilko car mats).
    Reattaching unglued wiper mounted spray nodule
    General tarting up of wipers inc blacking the rear one and cowl.
    Cleaning off of plastic windscreen stickers.

Pics tomorrow!
  • A) there is a stone chip repair guide in the downloads section which I think has all the paint codes on, and some excellent advice. You can order paint from anywhere that sells it, as it's mixed to order, lots of sellers on ebay, and Halfords do it too. I'm not sure about touching up scuffs, as not yet attempted it. My advice would be to watch various YouTube videos and then experiment on either some scrap metal or a car you care less about, or pay someone!
    C & D) there's a mirror repair guide in the downloads section which covers removal, it's very easy to remove the unit from the car, but further dismantling does get a little tricky (take care not to break the glass!). For repair have a look under the mirrors tag for lots of discussion, but this comment by Mike will give you a good start http://www.Avantime-owners.com/forum/discussion/comment/49783/#Comment_49783
    E) not sure myself, may be covered in the service manual in the downloads section.
    F) I use carplan black trim restorer, it's thick and so easy to apply so lasts a while, but here are some other suggestions http://www.Avantime-owners.com/forum/discussion/1721/back-to-black
    brilliant reply Spudit cheers
    d) just to be clear, this is roof rail corrosion
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 0
    Then just find a tag word "roofrails" or "paint" at the left of home screen...
    thanks
    some pics, i hope these auto resize, dont want to overload the forum.

• edited August 2018 Posts: 0
    Sorry, I was still thinking of mirrors as they corrode. Here's the paint code for the roof http://www.Avantime-owners.com/forum/discussion/comment/41425/#Comment_41425, and what you need to do to prevent it corroding again: http://www.Avantime-owners.com/forum/discussion/comment/33906/#Comment_33906
  • couple of pics from the Euro tour, 2000 miles.
    One new wheel bearing (which I consider a consumable) otherwise faultless.

Thumbs up as a family touring car.
    Must work out the fuel economy.
    We went over San Bernard and San Gotthard (via La tremola) as vehicle highlights, though they werent as steep as the border between Italy and Switzerland near Monte Generoso.

• Blimey must have been snug. That's one big dog! .... with two small children and their stuff it must have required master packing skills! That you survived without a roof box is amazing! Really like the route map. About to take mine on a large European tour -> Denmark -> Germany -> Switzerland -> France with the Matra Museum a destination. It would be nice to capture similar tour maps!
  • On google maps type in your start and finish destination then use the third box that appears to add destinations, then reorder the destinations and it fixes the rest, though its about ten destinations max. (you might know this already). The dog is seven months old and a puppy. Not my choice, the wife wanted it. Some times in life you have to concede. When married, always :)
  • Brings back memories from 1980, when I took a lovesick mate of mine on the back of my Suzuki GS550 on a similar route through Belgium, Luxembourg, eastern France, into Basel, over the Gottard (8,000 ft if I recall rightly, covered in snow in mid-summer) and down through Milan to Viarregio.
    Great adventure - little if any autoroute, proper borders, currency changes.
    He didn't persuade the young lady!
  • In 1980 I had a Suzuki GS1000E reg no was KVR454V
  • Thought the dog might be pneumatic (see pics)....the only way I can see it would fit. Nice bikes guys. That's a romantic tale Gavin sorry it didn't work out for him.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 218
    haha, pnuematic dog! well when we unpacked it did tend to explode, but he had the best space of us all on top of everything. It has occasionally locked itself of its own accord, which might become dramatic if the keys were inside! Reminds me of when i had a spare key in a magnet box on a car yonks ago. When i lost the key five years later, could not remember where on earth id put the magnet box.
    Ill ask because maybe a few out there are in the same boat.
    How to adjust the time on the digital clock?
  • 2 little buttons under the clock readout
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 0
    There are Hour and Minute buttons on the left side of the display. Just push them to select desired time.
  • ahh cheers, that sounds embarrassingly obvious, it was dark when i left this morning. Ill blame that.
  • It is always best to leave the Dark Side.
  • hurumph
  • Update time! Its running well overall. Unfortunately i let the coolant get low (or it has leaked HGF or something terrible). This has bolied the coolant preveting circulation. Stopped the car immediately and added water. Now however that boiling has either blown a seal or split or hose and it is regularly leaking. Going to the garage next week. So have also ordered new filters and front springs for an espace 3 from auto doc. The steering at full lock is a bit clonky so new track rod ends also ordered. I believe part of the continual noise from the front end drivers (rhd) side is due to a failed engine mount. Anybody got a part number or diagram?. I think im after a front suspension parts diagram as well as i would like the shebang rebushed to stop the noise. Will also be a chance to get the koni dampers on i bought in spring. The fenland roads are very undulating. Finally we are expecting our third sprog in june and according to my mrs its illegal to have child seats touching one another but im dubious? Seems two baby seat (sides) and a central booster seat fit ok to me but mrs says no. I.e. which would mean selling the blue blob (as it is unfortunately named).
  • Or sell a child and the seats will have room to spare!... just a thought.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 0

Anybody got a part number or diagram? I think im after a front suspension parts diagram as well as i would like the shebang rebushed to stop the noise.

Is this the one you are after?

And is yours 2.0 petrol? This section is for 3.0V6 with manual gearbox

To get the right information I need to know your engine type and gearbox...
  • I don't believe there's any law about child seats touching, however I would be amazed if you can fit 3 seats in the back, we used to have 2 rear facing isofix seats in the back and my wife, who is very small, could only just squeeze in. However, it is legal for a child to sit in the centre seat without a child seat if one doesn't fit AND the front passenger seat is occupied. Obviously this is less safe, but otherwise you have to buy a multipla :tongue:
  • A booster cushion is an option which positions the seat belt correctly around little people.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 218
    Lets be clear, i wont be buying a Multipla :s or selling children. :)
    Yep we plan a booster seat centrally, I reckon when surrounded by child seats our 7 year old will be safer as it forms a bucket and still decent space. The Mrs is fairly adamant about it, although she has yet to put a white stripe across her nose. :|

Many thanks for the exploded pictures, the car is a 2.0T manual.
  • might be going potty but im sure there was a thread about replacingthe drivers side engine mount to reduce noise, but cant find it using the search facility.
  • Halfords *to order* illiade blue paint arrived in store after a week 17quid, seems reasonable. Autodoc parts arriving Monday and service booked for Wednesday to solvecoolant leaked (nervous) and hopefully swap the dampers and springs and a few bushings.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

About Cookies

We use cookies just so you know